Friday, December 14, 2007

Things I learned about Bhutan


Blog X

During the last couple of months, there are so many things I have learned about Bhutan. In many ways, I found Bhutan to be a country which is truly independent because of its location, cultural, and religious belief. It is a country where almost always everyone is born as Buddhist. Because of the size of the country, it creates a very small community and social groups. Denka Tshering, Sonam Lhamo, and many other Bhutanese that I have met once told me, “Everyone knows your business and your life, it’s as if you are being watched 24/7. One wrong thing/behavior can affect the whole entire family’s reputation. That is one thing I hate about Bhutan”. They all have said almost the same thing about having a small community but at the same time, they said they would not want to change that. They have gotten so used to it and cannot imagine having a larger social community.
Furthermore, because Bhutanese people strongly believe in their religion, Buddhism, I was curious to find out what they thought of other religions and how they felt about human rights. Through my research and interviews, I can conclude that most of Bhutanese people are open-minded towards other religions. They respect other cultures and religions and strongly believe and respect in human rights. However, if someone tries to force his/her religion to a Bhutanese person or onto a community, they will not tolerate those kinds of behaviors.
Many unique behaviors I saw Bhutanese people do but now, I have finally come to an understanding of them. It has been influenced strongly by their religions more than culture. The culture adds on to their influence. Buddhism has a lot of belief which some what has to do with superstitious and because over many generations, Bhutanese people have been Buddhists, it affects the cultural belief as well. Because I believe culture is created by the people in that country. I still cannot say I fully agree to the behaviors I saw my friends, Denka or Sonam do. A lot of behaviors have to do with their religion and their natural reaction; they were taught to do those things when they were young. By studying Bhutanese culture and religions, I have come to respect and understand the culture. Instead of looking at particular behaviors and questioning why people do them, I am now able to analyze them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Saul G said...

I have a bag in my home that belongs to Denka Tshering, whose name I found on your blog via Google. If you are in touch with her, please tell her that I have it (has books, DVDS, personal items, high school memories). She may have left it in her friend Stephanie's room (who interned here in DC over the summer and roomed upstairs from my floor).