Thursday, December 13, 2007

Bhutan, a country that is filled with nature


Blog VI
"This peaceful nation ... is emerging as a big draw, attracting those in search of a spiritual journey, a hiking adventure — or just a chance to experience a place before the rest of the world gets there." ~ The New York Times.

Bhutan is only slightly larger than Switzerland and because of the modern development of contented inns and lodges, it has frequently been put side by side to its European cousin. However, unlike Switzerland, Bhutan’s mountaintops and hills are graced not by ski lifts but by vivacious and living monasteries. In the monasteries, monks reflect spiritual texts, mediate, involve in debate, study, and preserve a way of life that has been endangered in the rest of the Himalayas. As I was informally carrying out conversation with my Bhutanese friends, I asked them how they feel to live in a place surrounded by mountains and valleys and what is like for them to live in the United States.

Denka Tshering (from Bhutan, a student at Wheaton College) said,

“I think because I get to go out to different places and live, when I go home, I realize that I take things for granted. It brings a whole different level of perspectives and you appreciate things at home more. I feel so safe when I am surrounded by mountains and I see monasteries. When I go back over the break and I see it, I begin praying, thanking God for bringing me all the good things including home in my life.

Another friend, Sonam Lhamo (from Bhutan, a student at Wheaton College) added,

“After my first year of high school in the U.S., I was truly ready and excited to go home. I was on a plane and as the plane was descending to land to Bhutan, I had tears come out and felt so excited and safe to be home. Mountains, monasteries, and valleys are the symbols of home and I completely connect with it. Anywhere I am, I feel like before making or taking any big steps in life, I pray. Whether I am in the U.S or in Bhutan, it is a perpetual thing that which allows me to connect to home and family.

Denka agreed with Sonam. They both said that behavior of praying or chanting in order to connect with home comes from Buddhist tradition as well as culture influence. They said no matter where they are at, when they pray, it makes them feel closer to home
.

No comments: